What are yummy and healthy recipe ideas you can make for Mother’s Day?
- Spanish Sardines and Lemongrass Salad Recipe
- Sardine Omelette
- Tuna Cakes with Salsa
Mother’s Day is fast approaching and the best way to celebrate it is to present yummy and healthy food to your mom. As she is always the one who cooks up neat dishes for everyone, surprise her by being the one to whip out something delicious in the kitchen. Make her feel appreciated by creating a Spanish sardine recipe or a well done canned tuna recipe—both of which have a number of benefits tagged to their name.
Making your mom feel appreciated should be done every day, but it should become extra special come Mother’s Day. Preparing a canned tuna recipe dish is a fuss-free solution to this and it can be done even without making a mess in the kitchen which will make your mom extra happy.
Mama, mommy, mom, or ma, whatever you may call her; she will surely thank you for including these recipes to her diet. Not to mention that these canned fish are easily found in your pantry, which will be perfect if you want to throw a quick surprise for Mother’s Day!
Read more below to know how to prepare these healthy dishes:
Spanish Sardines and Lemongrass Salad Recipe
The fragrant lemongrass will complement the sweet and spicy chili sauce and the kick of the red onions that will accompany it. Prepare this dish for your mom and add a little extra to her healthy diet.
- 2 tbsp. Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 pc. Lemongrass (tough outer leaves discarded; inner core thinly sliced)
- 1 can of Spanish sardines
- 1 1⁄2 cups lightly packed torn cilantro leaves and stems
- 1⁄2 small red onions, thinly sliced
- Put the chili sauce with the lime juice and salt into a large bowl. Whisk the ingredients.
- Add the cilantro, Spanish sardines, lemongrass, and red onion.
- Toss to combine.
- Transfer the salad to a platter and serve.
Start Mother’s Day morning with a breakfast in bed. With this easy to make recipe, your mom will surely smile throughout the day. Add a twist to the simple recipe by using spicy sardines as the star of this meal.
- 1 can of sardines in tomato sauce with chili
- 5 eggs
- 1 small knob of butter
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Drain the sardines of their sauce and proceed to break them into large flakes.
- Break the eggs into a bowl, season with salt and pepper, and beat lightly.
- Heat the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Sauté the sardine flakes, onions, and add more seasoning to the eggs.
- Cook with a little bit of stirring, then flip it over like a pancake.
Tuna Cakes with Tomato Salsa
Remember how your mom prepares your snack for a long day at school? Now, you can be the one at the other end of that by cooking up these quick and easy tuna cakes. Mother’s Day is not without tasty snacks so why not prepare this for the upcoming event.
- 3 5oz cans Mega Tuna drained and fluffed
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/3 cup crushed crackers (appx 4 crackers)
- 2 tablespoons freshly minced parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili peppers (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
Procedure for the Tuna Cakes:
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the tuna, onion, crackers, parsley, garlic, and peppers.
- Add a little salt and pepper, stir, and taste it
- Once you have reached the desired seasoning, stir in the egg
- Make patties with the tuna mixture
- Add 1 tablespoon oil in a large non-stick sauté pan, over medium heat
- Cook tuna cakes for 2 minutes on each side until golden brown
- Remove from pan and set on a paper toweled covered plate to drain any excess oil.
Procedure for Salsa:
- Toss together the tomatoes, green onions, parsley, garlic salt, and pepper.
- Place in an airtight container and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving with tuna cakes.
- Top tuna cakes with the tomato salsa and serve!
Making dishes with these recipes for Mother’s Day will be a memorable moment for your mom. With healthy ingredients such as sardines and tuna, it will make the day even greater. Spend mother’s day eating these delicious meals and bond over their scrumptious taste while catching up with your mom.
Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms out there!