Compared to the other products in the canned industry, sardines are undermined. Due to its affordable price tag, sardines—including those recipes using Spanish sardines—have been branded as a budget friendly option. In fact, it is already a Filipino tradition to buy and eat sardines when the budget is tight.
Unbeknownst to many, sardines do not have to be a boring meal that was served due to its convenient preparation. Long gone are the days of plain and typical tomato soaked sardines. Nowadays, there are plenty of flavors of sardines to choose from in the market.
As mentioned above, Spanish sardine recipes are definitely a thing. With this innovative flavor comes a revolutionary addition to the culinary scene in the Philippines.
If you want to learn more about these recipes, then continue reading.
Sardine with a Spanish-Style Flavor
Unlike the conventional cooking method of preparing sardines, wherein the fish is pressure cooked in brine or tomato sauce, the Spanish-style sardines is pressure cooked in extra virgin olive oil or corn oil.
What Is Its Nutritional Value?
The Spanish style sardine in the Philippines, specifically the Mega Spanish-style sardines, contains 18 grams of protein and 2 grams of dietary fiber for every 52 grams of serving. It only has 2 grams of total carbs and sugar, and 260 calories per serving.
The Perfect Pair for a Spanish Sardine Recipe
Just like any variant, there are several ingredients that are sure to complement the distinct flavor of a Spanish sardine recipe.
Here are some that a sure to blend well with the Spanish-style sardines:
- Bottle Gourd
- Angled Luffa
- Miswa Noodles
Unique Tips on How to Enjoy a Spanish Sardine Recipe
Most dishes have a specific way on how it is served. A particular way of presentation brings out better the flavor of each dish, thus providing a better and more enjoyable eating experience.
The same rules apply to a Spanish sardine recipe; there are unique ways that can surely emphasize its flavors. A few examples of the are the following:
Mix with vegetables – Combining vegetables and canned sardines forms a meal that is packed with the health benefits of vitamins and minerals.
The best method of cooking these two together is sautéing the ingredients with a little bit of water.
The blend of vegetables and the Spanish-style sardines in the Philippines is also a budget friendly option for those who want to save without sacrificing the portion size. The vegetables act as fillers that add a great deal to the serving size.
Combine with noodles – The most commonly used noodles in combination to sardines is the thin noodle called “Miswa” that is made of flour.
However, there is another popular noodle that blends well with sardines, and that is the Udon noodles. This kind of noodles is particularly popular in the southern part of the Philippines.
All you have to do to have an exciting culinary experience is sauté your sardines together with the noodles.
Use it as a pizza topping – Using Spanish-style sardine as a pizza topping is a healthy option that is sure to surprise your taste buds. This is perfect for those who want a nutritious snack before they go to their gym.
For a more local and snack-like approach, instead of using pizza crust, use pandesal. Its small size is sure to be a hit to the kids.
The Perfect Alcohol Pairing
For everyone who wants some twist when eating their Spanish sardine, they could serve it with a glass of their favorite beer. Not only will this liquor cool you down during the hot days in the Philippines, it will also add some zing to your meal. Just be careful not to drink too much—you might end up with a killer hangover!
Spanish Sardine Recipes You Can Try Out
Eating sardines are no longer exclusive to just heating it after opening the can. There are several dishes that utilize sardines as the main ingredient.
Due to its nutritional benefits, people are starting to use sardines as a healthy alternative source of protein.
Here are some dishes that can prove that sardines, especially Spanish-styled sardines in the Philippines, are truly a versatile ingredient.
Mega Spanish Style Sardines Bread Roll Surprise
- 5 pieces of bread rolls
- 2 cans of Mega Spanish Style Sardines 155g, flaked
- 5 pieces of small eggs
- 1 cup of grated cheese
- Slice the top most portion of the bread roll and press down the inside portion, make sure to set aside the top portion. The bread must have a bowl-like appearance. Repeat this step for the other remaining breads.
- Place 2 tbsps. of the sardines inside the bread.
- On top of the sardines, place an egg.
- Afterwards, position grated cheese on top of the egg.
- Cover the opening of the bread using the top portion that was sliced off earlier and then coat the bread with aluminium foil. Repeat this step for the remaining breads.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius, then place the bread and heat inside for 20 minutes (or until the egg has set).
- Add more cheese, salt, and pepper based on preference then serve.
Mega Spanish Style Sardines Log
- 1 can of Mega Spanish Style Sardines 155 grams, drained (set aside the sauce for later use)
- 2 pieces of salted eggs
- 3 tbsp. of all-purpose flour
- 1 piece of egg
- 1 piece of diced onion
- 1 whole clove of minced garlic
- Salt (add according to taste)
- In a bowl, combine the flour and eggs.
- Dip the sardines into the batter.
- Deep fry the sardines until it turns golden brown. Set aside afterwards.
- Sauté the garlic and onions.
- Pour the sardine’s sauce that was set aside earlier.
- Add the salted eggs, and then let it simmer for several minutes.
- Combine the deep-fried sardines and the sauce, and then serve.
Mega Spanish Style Sardines Embutido
- 2 Cans of Mega Spanish Style Sardines 155 grams, drained
- 1 Cup of bread crumbs
- 4 pieces of whole eggs
- 1 piece of minced carrots
- 1 piece of minced red bell pepper
- 2 pieces of minced onion
- 4 pieces of minced garlic
- ½ cup of sweet pickle relish
- ½ cup of grated cheese
- 225 grams of raisins
- Salt and Pepper (add according to taste)
- 10×12 Aluminium Foil
- In a large bowl, place the drained sardines.
- Mix in the eggs and bread crumbs.
- Add in the onions, garlics, carrots, red bell pepper, sweet pickle relish, and grated cheese.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Add the salt, pepper, and raisins. Mix thoroughly.
- Flatten the mixture on an aluminium foil.
- Like forming a cylinder, roll the foil, then lock the edges.
- Cook in a steamer for 45 minutes.
- Place in the refrigerator to cool down.
- Slice horizontally and serve.
Mega Spanish Style Sardines Siomai
- 2 cans of Mega Spanish Style Sardines 155 grams, flaked
- 1 large piece of finely chopped carrots
- 2 medium sized, chopped onions
- 1 large piece of egg
- 2 tbsps. of chopped spring onions
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. of ground pepper
- 1 pack of Won Ton wrapper
- Water (used for steaming)
- Mix together the flaked sardines, carrots, onions, eggs, salt, pepper, and 1 ½ tbsps. of spring onion in a bowl.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the mixture on a Won Ton wrapper.
- Cook the wrapped Spanish-style sardines using steam for 25-30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining spring onions on top.
- Serve with soy sauce, calamansi, and chili dip.
Mega Spanish Style Sardines Lumpiang Shanghai
For the Filling
- 2 cans of Mega Spanish Style Sardines 155 grams, drained (set aside the sauce)
- 3 tbsps. of chopped carrots
- 2 tbsps. of chopped singkamas
- 1 tbsp. of chopped onion
- 1 tbsp. of minced cilantro
For the Wrapper
- 10 pieces of Lumpia wrapper
- 1 cup of cooking oil
For the Dip
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 5 tbsps. of ketchup
- 1 tbsp. of vinegar
- 1 tbsp. of sugar
- Dash of salt and pepper
For the Shanghai:
- Mix all of the listed Shanghai filling inside a bowl.
- Place the Shanghai fillings inside the wrapper, and wrap the fillings.
- Deep fry until the rolls turn golden brown.
For the dip:
- Mix all of the ingredients. Add salt and pepper.
Spaghetti ala Mega Spanish Style Sardines
- ¼ kilograms worth of pasta (it can be Spaghetti, Fettuccini, or Macaroni)
- 3 tbsp. of oil
- 1 tbsp. of butter
- 1 piece of minced garlic head
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 cans of Mega Spanish Style Sardines 155 grams
- 1 can of sliced button mushroom
- 1 small can of cream of mushroom
- 3 pieces of scrambled egg
- 1 piece of medium-sized and chopped red bell pepper
- 1 piece of medium-sized and chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 bar of butter (already flaked)
- ½ cup of grated cheese
- Cook pasta based on the directions stated on the packaging.
- For the sauce, sauté the garlic and onion in butter and oil.
- Add the sardines, mushrooms, all-purpose cream, pasta broth, and cream of mushroom.
- Add salt and pepper, then the preferred spices (rosemary and basil).
- Pour sauce over cooked pasta.
- Place the 3 scrambled eggs.
- Top off with chopped red and green pepper, flaked butter, and grated cheese.
- Bake in order to melt the cheese.
- To complement the dish, serve with buttered toast.
Spanish Style Sardine is a variant of sardines that was pressure-cooked in either extra virgin olive oil or corn oil, instead of the usual tomato sauce.
This specific type of sardine has low carbohydrate, sugar, and calorie content. It is also rich in protein and high in dietary fiber.
There are also plenty of goods that complement well into the taste of Spanish sardine recipes in the Philippines. A few examples of ingredients that you can easily add to your dish are tomatoes, rosemary, spinach, parsley, and lettuce. Crackers are also a great pairing option for Spanish-style sardines.
There are several ways on how to fully enjoy the experience of eating a Spanish sardine recipe. The first one is to mix the sardines with vegetables. This will boost the nutritional value that can be absorbed because the sardines is already packed with vitamins and minerals.
Sardines can also be mixed with noodles such as Miswa and Udon and the best way to cook this combination is to sauté them together.
One way for kids to enjoy this healthy ingredient is by using it as a pizza topper. And, for a bite size and local twist to this healthy snack is by using pandesal instead of pizza crust.
The Spanish-style sardines can also be enjoyed along with a glass of red wine for a spritz and white wine for a sparkly zing.
Spanish style sardines are not just a canned meal; it is also a tasteful and a healthier alternative source of protein. Due to its versatile nature as a variant, there are numerous recipes that use sardines with a Spanish-style flavor. Dishes like bread rolls, embutido, siomai, Lumpiang Shanghai, and even Spaghetti can be made using Spanish-style sardines as the main ingredient.
Where to Get the Best Spanish Style Sardine in the Philippines?
Spanish Style Sardines are extremely versatile, healthy, and extremely flavorful.
Adults are not the only one who can enjoy this canned delicacy since it can be incorporated with various yummy snacks that the kids are sure to love and enjoy.
If you’re meaning to branch out of your comfort zone in terms of food and flavor, then the next time you go to the grocery store, pick up some Mega Spanish Style Sardine.
You could try out the different recipes that were stated earlier in this article like the “Spaghetti ala Mega Spanish Style Sardines.” For a more kid friendly option, you could prepare the mini pizza with sardine toppings or the “Mega Spanish Style Sardines Siomai.”