What merienda recipes can you make and enjoy in any kind of weather?
- Sardines with Misua and Patola
- Sardine Puffs
- Tomato Sardine Wraps
A big part of Filipino culture is eating during the afternoon. Filipinos call this meal, merienda. Usually, it’s the time of the day when you just woke up from your siesta (midday nap) and might be hungry for a little bit of food. It’s a good thing that there is a variety of food you can prepare, including Spanish sardine recipes, as a snack.
In the Philippines, there are 3 main types of snacks: summer day snacks, rainy day snacks, and snacks you can enjoy during any kind of weather. In this article, we listed down 3 recipes that can eat whether it’s sunny or rainy.
Sardines with Misua and Patola
One of the most common Filipino merienda dishes, this tasty noodle dish is filled to the brim with flavor! This is usually enjoyed during the rainy season. However, you can still enjoy it no matter what the weather is.
- 1 can of Mega Sardines in Tomato Sauce
- 4 ounces of Misua noodles
- 1 patola, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- 1 garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, diced
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp. cooking oil
- 4-5 cups water
- Heat the cooking oil in a soup pot.
- Saute the garlic until medium brown.
- Add in the onions and continue to saute until the texture becomes soft.
- Pour the sardines with the tomato sauce. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes
- Put in the patola and cook for 1 minute
- Pour water and let it boil for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add in the misua Gently stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Then, put in the green onions.
- Let it simmer for 1 minute. Serve in a bowl.
Here’s a cool recipe that will perk up quite an interest from your family. These puffs look just like normal pastries, but filled with delicious tuna! For families who have always had the same food for merienda, this will be a welcome change that will surely become a favorite.
- 3 cans of Mega Tuna Flakes
- 3 tbsp. tomato sauce
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 kalamansi
- Chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- 375 grams of puff pastry
- Heat a pan with oil. Saute onion and garlic until they’re limp.
- Once ready, add tuna flakes and the tomato sauce. Mash them up as you cook.
- Squeeze 2 kalamansi to the mix and cook for about 1 minute.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celcius.
- Roll out the puff pastry and cut it into 6 equal squares. Place some of the fish mixtures in the middle of each square and fold it over.
- Seal the edges with a fork.
- Glaze with some beaten egg and bake until puffed and golden.
Note: You can use your toaster as an alternative to your oven. These puff pastries may need a bit of baking skills, but it will be worth it!
Tomato Sardine Wrap
If you like food such as lumpia and dumplings, then these tomato sardine wraps will be perfect for you! It has some similarities to the typical shawarma wrap, but instead of the usual meat, you’ll get a healthier and more delicious sardine filling!
- 1 can Mega Sardines with Tomato Sauce, drain out most of the sauce
- Tortilla Wrap
- 1 chili, finely chopped
- ½ red onion, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp. mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper
- Combine the sardines, chili, and onions. It is your choice whether you want to mash them together or leave the sardines in chunks.
- Gently warm both sides of the wrap then spread mayonnaise on it.
- Top the wrap with the sardine mixture at the center. Put some lettuce over it then fold it and cut in half.
Note: You can make it taste more of the sardines by adding a little bit of the tomato sauce! You may also want to try and experiment adding other ingredients to improve its taste!
Tuna and sardines are such a versatile ingredient that it can be served for all types of meals, even during merienda! Spend the afternoon eating some of the tastiest treats you can make by trying out these recipes!