How can you make your kids love seafood?
- Make a creamy seafood dish
- Make a cute seafood dish
- Fry the seafood dish
Aside from vegetables, seafood are probably the next food items your kids dislike. They would complain of their “fishy taste” and the fact that you still have to remove the bones to enjoy them.
But it’s important to still encourage them to eat seafood, particularly fish. They are an important part of the food pyramid. Thankfully, sardine manufacturers in the Philippines have various products you can use to get your kids to start loving seafood.
Here are 3 ways you can do so:
Make a Creamy Seafood Dish
Kids love foods that have melted cheese on them or dishes that have a creamy texture to them. This is most likely due to the fact that they tend to gravitate towards food with fat content.
Seafood and sardine recipes are a healthy alternative to chips and fast food. For the best creamy dish, try out this Creamy Pasta with Tuna, Mushroom, and Carrots.
- 180g Mega Tuna Flakes in Oil
- ½ cup Mega Prime Pieces and Stem Mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 5 cloves chopped garlic
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- 400g penne pasta
- 1 cup all-purpose cream
- Boil pasta one minute less than the stated instructions.
- Strain and then pour with cold water to stop cooking.
- Afterward, fry onions for 2 minutes under medium heat with olive oil, then add garlic.
- Cook both for 1 minute and then add drained mushroom. Let the mixture cook for 1 more minute, then add tuna.
- Lastly, put pasta and pour the all-purpose cream. Stir until the cream covers all the pasta noodles. This should serve around 3 people.
Make a Cute Seafood Dish
Everyone eats with their eyes first. Kids are most likely to eat something that is colorful and beautiful. In order to make them love seafood, it’s best if you serve them something cute that will instantly catch their attention.
In Japan, parents would serve their kids cute bento boxes for their lunch. Surely, these are great inspiration for your own kids here in the Philippines. Just follow this recipe:
- 180g Mega Tuna Flakes in Oil
- 1 sheet dried seaweed
- 4 circular carrot slices
- 5 broccoli pieces
- 3 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper to garnish
- 1 cup rice
- 1 egg
Have these items ready:
- Star-shaped vegetable cutters (can be found in Japanese stores)
- Paper cup
- First, prepare the rice sandwich. Crack the eggs, then stir and season with salt and pepper.
- Afterward, scramble the eggs on the pan. Place the seaweed sheet on a plastic wrap and place the rice in the rough side of the sheet using wet hands.
- Layer the tuna, eggs, and rice. Fold the sheets until it forms a square shape. Leave it in the plastic wrap for 15 minutes to form then cut.
- Cook garlic in oil for 30 seconds and add the broccoli pieces. Stir-fry everything for 2 minutes and season with salt and pepper.
- Next, get your carrot and place the cutter above it. Cut the carrot with it until it becomes the shape of the cutter. You can use any shape you like.
- Put it all together by placing the 2 rice sandwiches on the left. On the right, put the cooked broccoli and sprinkle it with the carrot slices. You now have a cute and healthy lunch for your kids.
Fry the Seafood Dish
Seafood dishes are not very attractive to kids because they taste really different from pork, chicken, and beef. However, you can always make them more familiar to their taste by frying them.
Here is a simple fried fishcake recipe that you can follow:
- 155g Mega Sardines in Natural Oil
- 1 cup potato chunks
- 1 minced onion
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 cup minced carrot
- 1 tbsp. dried basil
- 1 cup flour
- First, boil the potatoes until they are soft and fully cooked. Afterward, strain the potatoes and mash all of them until they have a pasty texture. If you don’t have a masher, you can use a fork.
- Next, pour all of the sardine pieces from the jar into a large or medium-sized bowl. With a fork, smash all of it into little pieces. Then, pour the minced carrots, onions, and mashed potato into this fish mixture. Stir everything into a paste.
- In a small bowl, scramble the two eggs and pour into the paste. Sprinkle flour until the mixture is sticky.
- Heat the oil to high. With a spoon, place the mixture until it forms circles in the hot oil. Leave to fry until solid. This will serve 4 people.
Most parents struggle to serve seafood for kids. If you can relate to this problem, don’t fret because there are ways you can make seafood dishes—through the help of sardine manufacturers in the Philippines and creative sardine recipes—you should be able to make your kids fall in love with seafood!