What are great baon ideas for your husband and children?
- Tuna Sisig
- Sardines and Mushrooms
- Tuna Omelette
- Sardine Balls/Sardine Fritters
It’s the season when your kids are now going back to school and with it, an endless struggle of thinking what their baon should be. Most parents think of giving their kids the typical baon of fried chicken, ketchup, and rice, or chicken nuggets, or even pork chops. In fact, even sardines can be a typical baon for the everyday child as a variety of dishes can be made using various recipes like Spanish sardines and many more!
There are numerous baon ideas out there that will definitely give you more options when it comes to what your husband or kids will eat today. In this article, you will be provided with a number of quick, simple recipes that make use of the cheapest products you can find in any supermarket!
Nothing says Filipino more than Homemade sisig! It’s perfect for almost any meal at any time of the day! A staple in most Filipino dinner tables, this rendition of sisig made with sardines or tuna is a good option for family’s packed lunch! It’s simple recipe and fast prep time makes it one of the go-to recipes for fast packed lunches!
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 whole garlic, chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 can of Mega Tuna Flakes in Oil
- Pour the tuna in a bowl and mash into smaller pieces. Then, set aside
- Put oil on a hot pan. Make sure that it is on low to medium heat.
- Put in garlic and sauté for 30 seconds
- Next put in onions and saute for another 30 seconds.
- Put the tuna mash into the pan, season with salt and pepper, then saute for 30 seconds.
- Add chopped green chili and crack two eggs into the pan. Mix thoroughly for 2 minutes.
- Strain all the oil first before placing it in a plastic container.
Tip: This is best paired with rice! It can even be used as a filling for sandwiches!
Sardines and Mushrooms
A relatively easy recipe that makes use of the canned goods available in almost every supermarket. This recipe is simple and quick to prepare. Almost like a simplified Spanish sardine recipe, its taste will definitely not disappoint anyone that you cook this for!
- 1 Whole Onion, chopped
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, chopped
- Olive Oil
- 1 pouch of Mega Sardines in Tomato Sauce
- Put olive oil in a pan. Make sure that it is in low heat.
- Put in garlic and onions and saute for about 1 minute.
- Add as many mushrooms as you want, preferably around 100 to 200 grams.
- Saute all of them for a few seconds before adding the sardines in tomato sauce. Cut the sardines into smaller portions and mix for about 1 or 2 minutes.
- While mixing, add salt and pepper to taste. Mix for another minute then serve.
Tip: This dish is delicious when paired with rice or when accompanied by bread or crackers. Because of the nature of the ingredients, it is also very easy to prepare and pack for long rides. Perfect for any family trip or of course, as a packed lunch to work or to school!
Another Filipino favorite is anything that is torta, or an omelette. This recipe explores a classic tuna omelette, easy to make and delicious to the taste! Once again, this is an easy-to-make dish that is very cheap, while still being very healthy!
- 1 can of Mega Tuna Flakes
- 1 or 2 eggs
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- Cooking oil
- In a bowl, beat the eggs. Mix the tuna with the egg mixture.
- Put oil in a pan that is over medium heat. Saute the onions and tomato.
- After 1 minute, mix the onions and tomatoes into the egg and tuna mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add new oil on the pan. When hot, put in the egg mixture. Make sure that you fry both sides.
- Serve it on a plate.
Sardine balls / Sardine Fritters
Considered one of the best ways to make use of canned sardines, sardine meatballs are quick to make and are very flavorsome. They’re crispy on the outside and soft in the inside, making them an attractive dish that you can make!
- 3 cans of Mega Sardines in Natural Oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of dill or wansoy, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons of kalamansi juice
- 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon of chili flakes
- 5 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
- Black pepper
- Cooking oil
- Drain the sardines and transfer it to a large mixing bowl. Break the fish up with a fork and mix all the other ingredients into the bowl, except the cooking oil.
- Heat around an inch of cooking oil in a wok or frying pan until its hot enough. Fry the sardine balls of roughly an inch in diameter until it’s golden brown.
Tip: The best thing about this recipe is that you can prepare everything the night before and do the frying in the morning! It can save time and will also make the sardine balls more firm and tastier!
There are many baon ideas out there for you to try! Try out the recipes in this article and see just how versatile it is to make amazing budget baon meals for your husband and kids!