What are some healthy recipes you can make?
- Spaghetti with sardines
- Salad with corn and tuna
- Fried sardines with homemade aioli
Sardines and tunas are affordable and healthy sources of protein. If you are looking for a guilt-free alternative to meat, then sardines and tuna might just be what you are looking for. Recipes with Spanish sardines are especially rich in omega-3 fatty acids that can increase good cholesterol and can nourish the skin. It is also rich in an antioxidant called coenzyme Q10, calcium, and vitamin D.
Enjoy these benefits now with our list of recipes to enjoy your life at its finest.
Spaghetti with Sardines
Gather all your friends and enjoy some healthy dinner together!
- 2 small cans of Spanish sardines
- Tomato sauce
- 1 medium pack of spaghetti noodles
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- Prepare the spaghetti noodles according to package instructions. Drain and set aside after cooking. Drain the excess oil from the Spanish sardines.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil and sauté the garlic and onions until the garlic is lightly browned and the onions are translucent.
- Add and cook the sardines for five to seven minutes. You can keep them whole or mash them into smaller pieces.
- Add the tomato sauce and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the cooked spaghetti noodles to the pan and gently toss them together until well mixed. Serve warm.
Salad with Corn and Tuna
People usually shy away from salads because they are often boring and bland. Give your salads more flavor and nutrition with the addition of corn and tuna. This recipe can easily be made in five minutes or less which makes it perfect for a quick lunch or a light dinner.
For the salad:
- 1 can of tuna, oil drained and reserved
- 150 grams of prepared mixed salad greens
- 10-12 Spanish-style olives
- 1 can of whole kernel corn
- ½ small red onion
- 30 grams slivered onions
- 30 grams roasted red peppers
- 30 grams shaved Parmesan cheese
For the dressing:
- Reserved oil from tuna
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the tuna pieces into bite-sized chunks.
- Whisk all the ingredients for the dressing until well combined.
- Toss the tuna as well as the salad ingredients with the dressing until every piece is coated.
- Top the salad with shaved cheese. Serve immediately.
Fried Sardines with Homemade Aioli
Sardines are a staple Spanish delicacy. Their flavor shines through in recipes that are simple and ingredients that are subtle. Try out Spanish sardines like you’ve never had before; deep-fried with a garlicky sauce.
For the sardines:
- 2 cans of Spanish sardines, drained
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- 100 grams plain flour
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 bunch finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 50 grams grated cheese
- Olive oil
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Finely chopped flat-leaf parsley for garnishing
For the aioli:
- 1 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ lemon
- 1 pinch table salt
For the aioli:
- In a tall jug, add the egg yolk, olive oil, garlic, and salt.
- Blend with a blender until emulsified and has the consistency of thick mayonnaise. Season with salt and lemon juice to taste.
- Transfer to a small serving bowl and chill before serving.
For the sardines:
- Pat dry the fish with a large paper towel to blot out excess oil.
- In a shallow bowl, combine together the cheese, breadcrumbs, and parsley.
- Coat the sardines in flour and shake off the excess. Dip it in the beaten egg, and then coat it with the breadcrumb mixture. Do this for the rest of the pieces.
- In a saucepan, heat the oil. Add the sardines in batches once the oil is hot to avoid crowding the pan. Remove with a slotted spoon when cooked and drain on a paper towel.
- Place the sardines on a platter with the lemon wedges and aioli. Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm.
The ingredients listed above are already delicious on their own, but with a little preparation, it can become a nutritious and delicious meal. Try out these easy-to-make tuna and Spanish sardine recipes for your next meal. It does not matter whether there’s an occasion or not—you and your friends could gather today and celebrate life!